Sure, after months of leaked videos and specs Verizon's announcement of the Droid 3 doesn't really come as a shock, but hey, that doesn't take the excitement away from some of us physical keyboard lovers. Yes, the horizontal slider will finally be hitting Verizon on July 14th for $199.99 (with a two year contract), and just as we had heard, it's a big step up from the Droid 2 or Droid 2 Global. The 4-inch handset now packs a dual-core 1GHz processor, Android 2.3, and a very pixelicious qHD display. On top of that, Moto has thankfully improved the 8 megapixel shooter and added a front-facing camera. There are lots of very solid spec improvements all around, but we can't help but be disappointed by the lack of LTE. Form factor-wise, the biggest change seems to come to the keyboard — there's now a number row and the keys appear to be slightly more raised in the images. Verizon is also claiming that this is the world's thinnest full QWERTY smartphone, but we're still trying to dig up the exact measurements to see what sort of fat has really been cut here. Those are all the important stats, but if you're itching for more hit the break for the full press release and some images. Oh, and stay tuned for a review, someone around here is dying to get one of these in hand.
Source: Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless Introduces The Next Generation DROID Delivering Power And Performance: The DROID 3 By Motorola
Full Keyboard, No Compromises; DROID 3 by Motorola Available Online Today
BASKING RIDGE, NJ, and LIBERTYVILLE, IL — Verizon Wireless and Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE: MMI), today announced the new Android™-powered DROID 3 by Motorola, a global smartphone that delivers power for work and play without making compromises.
DROID 3 by Motorola is the world’s thinnest full QWERTY smartphone, and still delivers the power of a dual-core 1 GHz processor for fast multi-tasking. Customers can take stunning photos with the 8-megapixel camera or capture the moment in 1080p HD video. Equipped with Android 2.3, the DROID 3 by Motorola features a brilliant 4-inch qHD display, a roomy 5-row QWERTY keyboard and 3G Mobile Hotspot capabilities, with the ability to connect up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices. DROID 3 by Motorola delivers the power needed to conquer the day whether customers are at home, work or somewhere in between.
- Powered by Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread
- Mirror mode allows you to view and share photos, videos and movies on a larger TV via HDMI output (requires HDMI cable)
- Global ready, allowing customers to enjoy wireless voice and data service in more than 200 countries, including more than 125 with 3G speeds
- Enterprise ready with advanced security policies, device and SD card encryption, complex password support, remote data wipe of device and SD card; document and presentation viewing and editing with Quickoffice®
- Citrix® GoToMeeting® for Android, gives users the ability to attend online meetings while on-the-go, and Citrix Receiver® for Android, a universal software client that allows companies to deliver corporate apps, desktops and data to any corporate- or employee-owned device
- ESP smart dock technology for a tailored experience based on whether DROID 3 is docked in home, office or car settings
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10
- Front-facing camera for still shots and video chat
- Video playback in 1080p HD in mirror mode
Pricing and availability:
- DROID 3 by Motorola is now available online atwww.verizonwireless.com, and will be available in Verizon Wireless Communication Stores by July 14 for $199.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
- Customers that purchase a DROID 3 will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a smartphone data package. New Verizon Wireless customers will have the option of smartphone plans starting at $30 for 2GB of data. Current Verizon Wireless smartphone customers who are upgrading their smartphone can keep their current data plan.
For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
(EDITOR’S NOTE: Media can access high-resolution images of DROID 3 by Motorola in the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library atwww.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.)
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 104 million total wireless connections, including more than 88 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visitwww.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library atwww.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About Motorola Mobility
Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE:MMI) fuses innovative technology with human insights to create experiences that simplify, connect and enrich people's lives. Our portfolio includes converged mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets; wireless accessories; end-to-end video and data delivery; and management solutions, including set-tops and data-access devices. For more information, visitmotorola.com/mobility.
MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC. Facebook is a trademark of Facebook, Inc. Adobe and Adobe Flash are trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and other countries. Android is a trademark of Google, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. © 2011 Motorola Mobility, Inc. All rights reserved.