Reviewed by maxspeed (Currently owns)
With so many perceived problems, how could you give it a 10 ?
1. Maps.app ---> Previous maps did not have navigation or vector based graphics. It was recently found that the google maps.app actually used more data than the current version. Living in Ontario, I havent found any issues with directions. I owned a GS3 before the iphone 5 and can say the navigation is definitely better on android.
2. Browsing --> On the iPhone 5 with LTE service, Safari renders pages faster than any other device Ive ever owned. As well, downloads are very quick. I was able to download a 60 meg podcast in 15 sec in downtown Toronto. The touchscreen on the browser on android is not as forgiving, it has to be hit in a certain way which takes away from the experience of using the browser on android. iPhone on LTE has the best browsing experience overall.
3. Camera --> I previously loved the camera on the 4S. It would capture some great moments. With the GS3, I struggled to get a good steady shot as the plastic rounded back were more difficult to hold. I found the pictures not to be as sharp. The big difference with the iphone 5 is the speed of the shutter and how fast it can render the panorama. Its almost instant. The low light performance is decent as well, not DSLR quality, but it edges out the 4s. The HDR mode is much more subtle as well.
4. Broad based applications --> This is where iOS shines, android / windows phone 8 / blackberry do not have a ecosystem which can compare to the level and depth of apps like garageband and iphoto.
5. Battery life is slightly worse than the 4s. This could do with the fact that LTE is not available everywhere and the phone keeps searching for an LTE signal. This is where android has the edge, with a widget that you can quickly enable/disable bluetooth,wifi, LTE.
Overall, it is a fantastic product and you cannot go wrong if you pick the iphone 5. Also, with warranty issues, you can take it to the apple store and swap out for a new one the same day. This cannot be said for android phones.
- Design 10
- Display 10
- Camera(s) 10
- Reception / call quality 10
- Performance 10
- Software 10
- Battery life 8
- Ecosystem 10