AT&T APN Settings for Android / iPhone switchers (Mobile Share / Hotspot / LTE)

So I've been bouncing between the iPhone 5 and various Android phones a lot lately. I'm on a Mobile Share plan with Hotspot support, and one of the HUGE pains is that I've had to call in to AT&T and give them my IMEI every time I switched in order to make everything work.

Before: If I was on an iPhone 5 / Hotspot mobile share plan, LTE didn't work on Android. If I switched to Android, then LTE worked but Hotspot didn't on the iPhone. It was a hassle.

Now: I've stuck with the iPhone 5 / Mobile Share / Hotspot plan on AT&T, but with these APN settings on Android I'm able to get both LTE and Hotspot working on whatever Android phone without having to call AT&T whenever I swap SIMs.

So anyway, this might not really be helpful for most people, but it's changed my life. Here ya go:

APN Settings on Android, with iPhone 5 Mobile Share / Hotspot plan:

  • Name: ATT Phone
  • APN: phone
  • Proxy: [not set]
  • Port: [not set]
  • Username: [not set]
  • Password: [not set]
  • Server: [not set]
  • MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
  • MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
  • MMS port: 80
  • MCC: 310
  • MNC: 410
  • Authentication type: [not set]
  • APN type: default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri
  • APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
  • APN enable/disable: [APN enabled checked, but grayed out anyway on my device]
  • Bearer: Unspecified

Some notes: This is on a CM10 ROM on the One X, but I imagine it should work anywhere -- your APN fields may be a bit different, but it should just work with the major ones above. I'm also pretty sure there's some black magic associated with the APN types & their order, but playing around with them is what seemed to make LTE just work on Android while on the iPhone 5 plan.

Last but not least: I'm really unhappy that it took me so much time and effort to get this working. With LTE, we're dangerously close to AT&T taking the idea of provisioning and making it per-device and not easily switchable. This isn't the way GSM is supposed to work.

Update: The "Phone" APN as above should be the default on AT&T phones now, so you should only need to futz with these settings on global roms and/or older AT&T phones. Anyways, they saved my bacon.