Reviewed by djodjo (Currently owns)
I own my first Koss Porta Pro that I bought over 10 years ago, still, and listen daily to it.
Meanwhile I did compare it thoroughly to all available major companies' competitors and even with their higher models up to 250 USD.
I have not found any other headphone that:
- gives a natural sound, not too groovy, not to thinny
- is as comfortable as this light pressure-adjustable headphone
- reliably works for years without cable or connector break or noise issues
- can easily be maintained by exchanging all foram pieces with new parts, separately orderable at every Koss Dealer for low budget.
Are there alternatives? Yes, of course, as there are different tastes:
- B&W P5 for the really wealthy who give more buck for the style, than the sound
- Sennheiser HD25, much more expensive for pro- musicians, mixers and DJs, beware there are different models with differing sound and built for the different purposes
- AKG K-540, much more expensive or higher model, if you like a soft, fluffy sound and a nicer plastic style
- Creative aurvana Live! at slightly higher price than the Koss, but with a good lively sound. Those are made as I heard under Fostex license (the pro's know Fostex well for excellent drivers). But that's a heaftier box on your ear, too much for many taking it outside. I use them at home switching back and forth between the two (Koss and Creative) for different use.
So, if you're blindly buying one, you're not making a mistake if you choose the classic Koss Porta Pro. It's the classic for a reason.
If you've got time and patience, look for shops with an exhausting choice and take your Player/Phone with you, with the best recordings you have and know. Do choose yourself.
- Design 6
- Sound quality 10
- Comfort 10