Windows 8 Consumer Preview Desktop, and Feature Improvements
Since the default Windows 8 CP desktop isn't customized nicely, nor are any serious application installed, I thought I would provide a screenshot of my setup for those interested. The CP seems to run all applications perfectly so far. Though applications like Maya, with OpenGL viewports, seem to be making docked metro apps, in multi-monitor setups, occasionally have refresh issues.
A few improvements in general I would like to see:
- I think Microsoft should add a tile for "All Apps", because right clicking with mouse to access this important functionality is quite slow.
- Also I think it would be great if the switcher interface had aero peek. Alt+Tab thumbnails have aero peek, so should Switcher, when in mouse mode. Switcher thumbnails should also show program icon, like alt+tab interface (making it much faster to find the window). Switcher should allow scrolling down, to allow more than seven thumbnails.
- Shutdown by right clicking start thumbnail, and also from Start screen, under user tile.
- Jumplists added to metro mode, so I can access them more easily, whether on not I have icons pinned to taskbar
- Aero snap still doesn't work in between monitors, this should be easy to fix
- Drag and drop on to sub folders on breadcrumb bar, would be nice. By dragging file to drop down arrow, then folder off this.
- Win+left and right, should also snap metro apps, not just desktop windows.
- When hovering with mouse over new UI elements, eg charms, add tool-tips for hot keys, making them very discoverable
- Switcher allow right click to close app, this would also be very handy with alt+tab thumbnails, making it a quick way to manage multi-tasking, and open applications