Google, Apple & others: Pleeeaase get messaging right!
First of, I'm an Android User (GS2) who also owns an Ipad 2 and a Windows 7 notebook, and I happen to enjoy all of these devices. All have their strengths and weaknesses, and all of them help me to get things done just the way I want. But there's one area in which all these devices still don't deliver, and this area is (in my opinion) an absolutely crucial one:
Messaging and communication, especially between different users and different devices, is just not comfortable and intuitive.
I have tried just about all of the available services, and there is no way to elegantly communicate with anyone who owns a smartphone or a modern Notebook. Every service has limitations.
Some are exclusive to a certain OS (iMessage,...), some don't work on computers/notebooks (Whatsapp,...), some drain the battery fast and don't correctly sync between devices (Skype,...), and Google should be given a prize for having tons of communication services that aren't connected the way it should be (hangouts, messenger, talk, google+).
In my opinion, and I hope some people might agree, it would be superb to finally have a service that:
- Works on Mac OS, Win7, Linux, iOS, Android, WP...
- Provides chat features and possibly video calling for all these platforms
- Syncs correctly between various devices (If i read a message on my phone, it shouldn't be a new Message on my Notebook)
And here's why Google IMO should be the first company putting some resources to creating such a service:
- They have all the technology available, and they already develop stuff for all these platforms
- They want to get into the social business, why not start with a great messaging/communications service