Blu-ray Player for Windows Review
With the development of HD technology, the Blu-ray discs (BDs) have been surpassing the standard DVD and steadily becoming more and more popular among consumers. You can use an expensive Blu-ray player to enjoy Blu-ray movies on your HDTV, etc. But now we figure out a convenient way for users to enjoy the latest Blu-ray movies without investing in an electronic Blu-ray player - that is the Blu-ray player software.
The Blu-ray player software is cheaper and you also need a Blu-ray drive to read the Blu-ray discs. As for both Mac and Windows didn't have native Blu-ray support, a third party Blu-ray player software is very necessary. Through extensive research and testing, we found the popular Blu-ray DVD playback software on the market now. And compare them for help all users to make a good choice.
The Blu-ray player software may allow BDs to play on any desktop computer, notebook or home theater PC. You can learn that with the below reviews. All tools we tested includes: Mac Blu-ray Player by Macgo, DVDFab Media Player by DVDFab, Cyberlink's PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D, TotalMedia Theatre 5 by ArcSoft, VLC Media Player, WinDVD Pro 11, Nero Blu-ray HD-DVD Video Plug-In.
CyberLink PowerDVD 12
CyberLink PowerDVD 12 plays all types of media files - Blu-ray, DVD, movies, videos, photos and music. With TrueTheater, PowerDVD upgrades all your Blu-ray, DVDs, & videos to HD & 3D. You can also Enjoy Youtube, Facebook and Flickr media content in HD and 3D. Instant scale, instant view, instant zoom and instant seek to enjoy your movies freely. Enjoy your movies, videos, photos and music anywhere at home via home network with PowerDVD's sharing, streaming capabilities and on-the-go with PowerDVD Mobile.
- Convert Blu-ray Movies to 3D
- Enjoy 2D Videos & Photo Slideshows in 3D!
- Watch DVDs in Amazing HD
- Watch YouTube in HD
- TrueTheater® Surround for HTPC
- Optimized For Your Big Screen TV
- Silky Smooth Action Sequences
- Correct Shaky Camcorder Videos
- Make Your Videos & Photos Snap!
- Instant Scale - Browse media thumbnails in many sizes
- Instant View - Quickly search & browse your media
- Instant Zoom - Watch for details
- Instant Seek - Instantly find your favorite scene
- Smart Media Library - Easiest way to browse media
- Movie Marks - Bookmark your favorite scenes
- Remote Control Friendly Cinema Mode for Large Screens
Trial: 30 days free trial
Review: The first and No.1 Blu-ray & Media Player for Windows. The latest 12 version is more powerful than the older ones. You can now play Blu-ray 3D with it, as well as convert 2D to 3D for enjoy. The PowerDVD Remote and Mobile functions allows you to control playing with your smart device and stream files into your device. The price is a little expensive. After 30 days, the trial is expired, and you have to buy to use it. To play protected Blu-rays, you must have a DVI-D or HDMI digital output. There is still no Mac version yet.
Macgo Mac Blu-ray player
Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player is the world's first universal media player run on Mac OS X. And it released both Mac & PC version, the newest is the v2.3. You can play any format like Blu-ray disc, ISO, DVD, video, audio, photos, etc. The new version features with an option named "AirX", which allows you to enjoy Blu-ray on your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch via local WiFi. Adding DTS5.1 into it, Mac Blu-ray Player can bring your Mac or PC to the most popular Blu-ray HD video enjoyment.
- The first blu-ray player that can support both Mac & Windows
- Perfectly supporting Blu-ray decryption and is capable of removing AACS, BD+ without limitation
- Outstanding universal performance and all media formats supported
- Support playback of Blu-ray or DVD movies in ISO image format
- DTS5.1 can guarantee super high quality of the output
- Make Blu-ray playable on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch
- Share movie or video information on Facebook or Twitter
Trial: no time limitation, only play blu-ray with watermark
Review: The first Blu-ray player for Mac OS X. This tool is simple and easy to handle. It can decrypt and play most Blu-ray discs ISO directly in the market now. The trial version is marked with watermark when playback Blu-ray, you have to buy the full version to remove that. The tool is completely free for playing DVD, Video CD, video, audio and photo. It can't support Blu-ray 3D yet. Both Mac and Windows version are available now.
WinDVD Pro 11
WinDVD Pro is developed by Corel Corporation, and the latest version is the 11. It can be used to play Blu-ray, DVD movies, AVCHD and all the popular videos. The newest version is featured with Blu-ray 3D playback, 2D to 3D conversion, HD upscaling, etc. Also a premium online movie search engine (Corel® FlixFinderTM) is integrated which allows you to finds favorite movies at the lowest price from popular websites.
- DVD and Blu-rayTM player software supports Blu-ray DiscTM, BDXLTM, MP4, WMV-HD, DVD and AVCHDTM.
- New Blu-ray 3DTM support
- New online movie search engine, browse videos by category, compare prices, and bookmark and select your favorites.
- Convert 2D to 3D video which is only available for DVD-Video, standard and high-definition video files.
- Access movie content from your internet-connected Blu-rayTM player, using BD-LiveTM. It also plays BDXL formats, the latest Blu-rayTM format, which lets you create 100 GB rewriteable files.
Trial: 30 days free trial
Review: It is powerful Blu-ray and media player software for Windows. The latest version is updated with Blu-ray 3D support. The 2D to 3D conversion is only available for DVD video. To play protected Blu-ray, you have to connect your output device via HDMI or DVI-D digital output. After 30 days' trial, you have to buy the full version. Only Windows version is available now.
TotalMedia Theatre 5
Total Media Theatre 5 is developed by ArcSoft, Inc. which is an all-in-one media player for PCs. The tool allows users to play including Blu-ray, DVD, HD video, SD video, audio and photos on local machines or online. You can use it to play all types of 3D movies and watch 2D video/image in 3D mode. The advanced SimHD technology brings from low-resolution videos, even YouTube videos, up to near high-resolution quality with improved SimHD algorithms. Other features includes online video download, playback and sharing; Smart Menu for searching and online information; Apply parental controls to restrict specific movie levels or choose to set a password.
- Play Blu-ray, DVD, HD video, SD video, audio and photos
- Play Blu-ray 3D movies
- Convert 2D video/image to 3D
- Upscale SD to HD with its advanced SimHD technology
- Perfect media management
- New and intuitive UI
- Online video download, playback and sharing
- Smart Menu for searching and online information
- Enhance video quality for adjusting the brightness, contrast, hue, and saturation.
- Improve audio with the equalizer feature
- Parental control to restrict specific movie levels
- Change region code
Trial: 15 days free trial, can play decrypted BD
Review: Just fine. It supports the 3D Blu-ray playback, upscale SD to HD, convert 2D video/image to 3D for enjoy. This player can't play ISO directly. You have to buy the full version after 15 days trial. Only Windows version is available now.
DVDFab Media Player
DVDFab Media Player is designed to play Blu-ray discs, folders, ISO image files and other video files in all formats. The tool offers lifetime free playback of Blu-ray ISO files, folders and other video files, and real Blu-ray discs free for 30 days.
- Decrypt the newly released movies
- 1080p HD video and the DTS HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD Audio
- Free play of Blu-ray ISO files, folders and other video files
- Recognize and tell the loaded folder is a DVD or Blu-ray one. Collect the movie info's available from internet.
- Subtitle and audio track selected
- Video settings like de-interlace, scaling, crop, zoom, video calibration, etc.
- Customize audio stream, audio output, audio offset
- Browse and load external subtitle
- Add bookmark at any play point
- Automatically collect the movie info from internet
Trial: 30 days free trial for real Blu-ray disc playback
Review: A not bad tool, but just operated like a robot, I mean it lacks of human design. The windows version is not stable when playback some ISO files. Not support 3D yet. Both Mac and Windows version are available.
VLC Media Player
VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols.
- Simple, fast and powerful media player.
- Plays everything: Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams.
- Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed:
- MPEG-2, DivX, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3...
- Runs on all platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix...
- Completely Free, 0 spyware, 0 ads and no user tracking.
- Can do Media Conversion and Streaming.
Platform: Mac and Windows
Trial: Free, open source,
Review: VLC media player is a free and open source media player. The latest version allows user to play Blu-ray movies. But there is no commercial or protected movies supported. You can only enjoy the Blu-ray recorded or burned by customers. No 3D Blu-ray support yet, both Windows and Mac version are available now.
Nero Blu-ray HD-DVD Video Plug-In
Nero does not offer a stand-alone BD player. Instead, they have a Blu-ray Disc Playback plug-in which is compatible with some of their other applications. The plug-in is included with Nero Multimedia Suite 10 Platinum HD and Nero Video Premium HD. So you have to buy the Nero app before you free download the BD plug-in.
- This plug-in will enhance your Nero applications with the following technologies:
- HD DVD-Video Playback
- Blu-ray Disc Playback/Authoring on BD-RE 2.0 / BD-R 1.0
- MPEG-2 Decoding/Encoding
- VC-1 Decoding
- H.264 AVC Decoding with AVC Film Grain
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Decoding/Encoding
- Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 Decoding
- Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Decoding
- DTS Digital Surround 5.1 Decoding
- AACS Playback
Review: This Blu-ray HD-DVD video plug-in make the Nero not only authorize, edit, burn Blu-ray, but also play Blu-ray and video files. It is free, but you have to make Nero install first on your computer.