Polynauts Central : (14-15th/7 Archived)
(This is meant to be a GIF, however you can't seemingly post GIF's in these posts, only the comments. *sigh*)
Friendly Polygon Editor's Note: You sure can have animated gifs! You have to upload them from your hard drive or link from another hosing site directly. Gif away! - Arthur
I stand corrected - Shaun
Welcome to Polynauts Central, your daily discussion and roundup thread right here at Polygon on The Verge. It's Sunday July 15th and our weekend overlords have arrived!
If you're looking the best way to filter through any current deals on Steam then check out this site created by community Polynaut, NuclearPrinny. Just remember to take time away from Steam throughout the day to check out what's hot right here on Polygon.
Five Must-Read Polygon Articles:
"This entire thing frustrates me because it's taking advantage of the general public...It's not going to ship," Dent told Polygon. "It's just not going to ship. It just costs too much to develop this. $4 million is nothing. They've got to pay fabrication. They've got to pay designers. They've got to pay manufacturers. They've got to market it. It's a business. $4 million is nothing."
2: 'Assassin's Creed 3' adds fast-paced, cooperative 'Wolf Pack' multiplayer by Michael McWhertor
"Wolf Pack pits one to four players against a series of AI-controlled targets. Players are handed a bounty, pictured in the upper right corner of their screen, and instructed to quickly, but stealthily take out their target. Teammates will need to identify their respective victim and coordinate their efforts on who will take out which target, aiming to blend in and sync their assassinations."
3: Images of alleged new PlayStation 3 model leak by Bryan Bishop
"Earlier this month an FCC filing revealed that there may be a new model of the PlayStation 3 in the works, and now images have surfaced of what could be the console in question. Tecnoblog reports that the several images surfaced as part of a filing with the Brazilian Agency of Telecommunications (Anatel), which show a PS3-branded console with a ridged top, and no slot-loading drive whatsoever. A separation in the casing on the top of the device could indicate a top-loading drive, however."
"Hawken publisher Meteor Entertainment will be developing for Ouya, the company's CEO Mark Long announced today on Twitter. Developed by Adhesive Games using Unreal Engine 3, a scaled back version of the upcoming free-to-play mech shooter could conceivably run on the Ouya's Tegra 3 processor, which supports the game engine, though Long's tweet is short on details."
"If you're at all interested in electronic music, I'm sure that by now, you're aware that the real revolution in music software is not happening on traditional desktop computers but on the iPad."
Top Five Comments From Polynauts Central 13/7:
- DocSeuss want's advice on a custom-hacked-together machine specifically for gaming.
- BreadKnight discusses the latest issue of Spider-Men.
- Chaosyoshimage brings new 'Legend of Korra' news.
- Gigawings basically spams (haha) a ton of interesting links here.
- BreadKnight begins a "post images of yourself" craze. Polynauts break out Photoshop.
Across The Verge:
Ross Miller brings you yesterdays biggest tech news in 90 Seconds on The Verge which covers news such as;
- Nexus 7 arrives: here's where you can buy it right now (update: Google Play orders now shipping)
- Microsoft may scrap full retail edition of Windows 8, offer OEM and upgrade only
- Google posts full Android 4.1 Jellybean changelog
And now from beyond:
- Rumour: Moore to replace Riccitiello as EA CEO [Develop]
- Goats ride the waves in California [BBC]
- Former LucasArts Creative Director Clint Hocking arrives at Valve [Develop]
- Can SmartGlass Change Gaming? [Digital Foundry / Eurogamer]
- World of Warcraft gets turned into Mega Bloks [PCR]
- Sapphire hard drive designed to last one million years [PCR]
- Yahoo hacked, 453,000 passwords leaked [PCR]
So, another weekend arrives and another two day thread begins. What are your plans for the weekend guys and gals? Get talking below and as always feel free to hit me up via Twitter at @shaunmcilroy if you want to talk about suggest anything for Polynauts Central.
New to the Polygon Community? Please take time to read the Community Guidelines as laid out by the team here at The Verge. Particularly "Foul language: Cussing, swearing, or just plain nasty: all of the above are not cool here." That goes for pornograhic material as well folks.
Also check out the thread on muliplayer events here in Polynauts Assemble! for all the latest news on who's playing what, and when.