Love your Surface even more: Make your start screen 4 rows of tiles
- From the Windows 8 Start screen, search for regedit
- Launch regedit.exe
- In the Registry Editor, use the navigation pane to locate: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Explorer
- Right-Click, Add New Key, Name it Scaling
- Right-Click Scaling key you created in Step 4 and add new String Value and name the new value MonitorSize
- Right-click the newly created value and click Modify...
- Enter 12.1 for the value (Tricking the system to thinking it is a 12.1" device). 12.1 is the smallest size that enables 4 rows of tiles. Side Effect is the onscreen keyboard is slightly smaller but still usable.
- Restart your machine. Windows will automatically scale your apps and UI based on the specified screen size
(Note: Scaling Trick also applies to all Win 8 Devices)
Update: This also adds a setting when in Portrait mode to "Show More Tiles" which allows 9 rows of tiles to be displayed.
End Result (Click to Enlarge):