What comes next after Windows 8.1?
ZD Net just posted an article outlining the current rumors for the next 12-18 months of Windows.
Here's a quick summary:
- Another relatively large update to Windows 8.1 is planned to launch around the time of the Windows Phone 8.1 release (Spring 2014)
- Probably no Windows 8.2 release next fall
- Next "major" release of windows is planned for Spring 2015 (could be Windows 8.2 or Windows 9)
- Spring 2015 release will also include the launch of the unified App Store for Windows and Windows Phone
- Spring 2015 release will also merge Windows RT and Windows Phone with Windows Phone acting as the base and Windows RT features being built on top of that (Hence the rumors of 7-10" screen size support in WP 8.1)
- Windows APIs will reach near parity across all platforms
- New unified Windows 8/Windows RT/Windows Phone may just be referred to as "Windows"
- All major releases will shift from Fall to Spring from now on (Spring 2014, Spring 2015, Spring 2016, etc.)