Thinking of Thinkpad Yoga over Surface Pro 2
I'm an engineering student. Thinking of getting Surface Pro 2 or Thinkpad Yoga usually for in class note, finishing work around campus and tether to a monitor as a desktop.
After some research, I made this comparison.
Pros of Thinkpad Yoga
- 12.5 might be better for notes.
- A larger keyboard.
- Flexible angles
- No need for additional docks(Surface..hmmm.. having one is better)
Big con of Yoga
- Heavy, basically eliminated the possibility of in-bed entertainment.
Pros of Surface Pro 2
- 10.6, smaller, lighter –BY over 1/3 at 2lbs (+0.55 lbs type cover) vs 4 lbs.
- However it's not significantly thinner. The device is about 18.46mm with Type cover, while Thinkpad Yoga is 19.30mm , and considering a power cover would be even thicker.
- Longer battery, 10 hours (with power cover), vs 8 hours
- Mini Displayport is great for tethering a display.
- Relatively easier to use in bed
Thinkpad Yoga and Surface Pro 2 -128GB version share the same i5-4200U, 4G memory , 128G SSD capacity, 1080p resolution, wacom stylus, metal shell. They’re almost the same machine, but packed into different form. For 128G version of the Surface Pro 2, it cost $1128 with type cover, and $1198 with power cover, which is almost the same as Thinkpad Yoga's $1199 pricetag.
A Thinkpad Yoga is basically of the size of a longer Letter paper, 12.5*8.7, while Surface Pro 2 is basically a narrower Letter paper, 10.81*6.81. Larger screen should be better for note taking. Both of them are built with Magnesium (alloy), so both should feel premium.