Miix 2 or Venue 8 Pro for a gift?
Christmas are comming and I'm looking for a gift for my brother in law. He likes Android and Meego (and gadgets in general - quite tech savvy), but is open for other operation and eco- systems.
Recently, in a talk, he mentioned he needs a new PC, because his current one (probably old EeeBox PC EB1501P) is too slow, especially for Lightroom. He's on a very limited budget, because he just took a credit for his new apartment and all the money is spent on the renovation.
Initially, I considered buying him a new Nexus 7, but in this case, full (tablet) PC would be much better solution, IMO.
What are the main selection criteria?
- It should be full PC replacement for light computing (basic photo editing, browsing, some legacy x86 software)
- Nice design (he pays attention to detals)
- It should be cheap, but well built
The obvious choices meeting these criteria are Miix 2 and Venue 8 Pro. There are advantages and disadvantages of both devices.
Miix 2 - good:
- HDMI out, so you can charge device while using external monitor. Very important.
- Thinner, lighter.
- Good screen out of the box
Miix 2 - bad:
- fu$#@ ugly stickers on the back. WTF Lenovo?! Anyone tried to remove it? Is it possible?
- No active digitizer.
Venue 8 Pro - good:
- Active digitizer
- Better (listed) battery life (?)
Venue 8 Pro - bad:
- No HDMI out - big problem with using it "docked" with external monitor
- Poor screen quality out of the box
Guys, some of you have or at least played with this devices - what are your impressions and suggestions? Any other pros and cons I've missed? Has anyone tried Lightroom on Bay Trail?
Or maybe I should consider buying him (more expensive) Asus T100?
Your recommendations would be much appreciated.
PS: Another mini PC or cheap laptop is not an option - he's not a fan of this solution anymore. And such gift would be booooooring ;)