Samsung Chromebook (2012)

Show all User reviews

Reviewed by jayefef (Currently owns)

For the price, you'd be hard pressed to find a better, more efficient implementation of Google's vision of what the web and modern computing should be like. If you browse the web and use Chrome on a traditional desktop or laptop, you fully understand what you're in for.

If, for some reason, you use, or need to use or can't live without software like, Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Apple's Final Cut Pro or iWork suites -- you're in trouble. Google's versions of Office are acceptable and very adequate but there it takes a bit of getting used to a new workflow (don't forget about Office Web Apps in Skydrive!). But, if your work and personal use doesn't require that, the Samsung Chromebook is a fine solution and machine to work from.

The keyboard is spacious, the touchpad is just OK. Two-finger scrolling is a bit wonky. It is better than other manufacturer trackpads that I've used. The display, at least on mine, is washed out. Coming from a 15" MacBook, it took some getting used to. The speakers are tinny and not the best for listening to music.

Basically, I realized most of my laptop usage was browser intensive. About 97 percent of my work involved being online (the other 3 percent involved editing video or photos). This is the most reasonable machine I needed to accomplish what I needed to. If that sounds like you, this machine can be your next laptop.

The Breakdown

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • Design 9
  • Keyboard 10
  • Touchpad 8
  • Display 7
  • Performance 9
  • Heat / noise 10
  • Battery life 9
  • Software 7
Log In Sign Up

Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.



Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.