Will there ever be a mainstream 4:3 Android tablet?
There have been a couple over the years.
- Archos G9 (beat the iPad Mini to market by a year, but was junk)
- Vizio something or other, no Google Play Access
- Lenovo S2109 (old SoC, discontinued in favor of A2109 with "standard" 16:10 res and Tegra 3 SoC)
I get that Android apps are designed for 16:10, but having used 4:3 Android tabs in the past (aforementioned Lenovo and HP Touchpad CM9) I have not had problems where certain apps wouldn't show up on a Play store search, or behaved erratically on a 4:3 screen. So what's stopping OEMs from putting out new tabs in that form factor? Is it:
- Risk of a lawsuit from Apple?
- Not wanting to break from the norm of 1280x800 + whatever the current NVIDIA SoC is
- General consumer non-interest in Android tablets?