Challenges for academic research
Based on the recent discussions about academic research, it is possible to create a list of challenges:
- Journals. Can we accept that companies make money based on our hard work? (vs open access journals)
- Peer review. Is this process fast enough? Are blogs an alternative? Is arXiv an alternative?
- Publish or perish. Is this the way to go?
- Information overload. How can you read all the relevant articles?
- Reproducibility of the research. How should this be dealt with?
- Sharing data. Should researchers publish their data (or code)?
- Conferences. Do they add enough value (presenting unfinished work)?
- Workload for professors. Can professors combine all these tasks (publish, guide PhD students, teach etc.)?
- Funding. Should professors spent that much time lobbying for funds?
- Administration (and other time wasters). How do we make researchers more productive?
- Fundamental research. Do we pay enough attention to this?
- Interdisciplinary research (for example Bioinformatics). Should we rethink the way we collaborate?
- Evolution of Universities. will massive online open courses (MOOC) have an impact on the funding?
- Academic social networks. Do they add enough value?
Do you see more challenges?
(Disclosure: we are working on a tool to make academic writing more efficient: http://bohr.launchrock.com )