Microsoft is trotting out new games for the Xbox One at E3 2013, including some of the platform's 13 exclusive launch titles.
The E3 show started with a trailer for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain — an open-world Metal Gear game for the Xbox One. The new MGS looks filled with plenty of the same weird convoluted drama as in earlier titles, except with a fresh voice makeover; 24's Kiefer Sutherland will be voicing the new Solid Snake.
Among the exclusive titles announced today is Ryse: Son of Rome, a Crytek title that was originally unveiled at E3 2011 with the promise of Kinect integration. Ryse looks like a brutal short-range combat game in the same vein as Batman: Arkham Asylum. Fighting game lovers will also be pleased to learn that Killer Instinct will make a return on the Xbox One, with a cel-shaded Street Fighter IV look.
A core platform lineup wouldn't be complete without a racing title, and Microsoft plans to deliver: with Forza Motorsport 5. The new Forza was unveiled behind an actual McLaren on stage, and boasts an impressive feature that we'll surely have to see to believe; the game will allegedly use cloud computing to teach an AI partner, your "driveatar," to drive like authentic human opponents.
Here are some of the other titles Microsoft announced on stage at E3:
- Quantum Break: a title that attempts to combine a TV show and a game. "Watching the show gives you insights into how you play the game," said Remedy creative director Sam Lake.
- Project Spark: a world-building game that can use a player's voice to lay out mountains, trees, and other elements of a universe. The game can pair with a tablet using Xbox Smartglass, allowing players to carve rivers and manipulate the world with their hands.
- Minecraft Xbox One Edition: It's Minecraft... for the Xbox One.
- Crimson Dragon: a Panzer Dragoon-style game where the player flies around picturesque worlds shooting at enemies.
- Dead Rising 3: a sequel to the popular third-person zombie outbreak series. The new version promises "a rich open world with no load times."
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt: previously a PC-only title, The Witcher 3 promises some of the same free-roaming open world design with hand-crafted quests. The sequel will integrate Kinect voice commands to quickly cast spells and use items — an exclusive feature to the Xbox One.
- Battlefield 4: the combined-arms Call of Duty competitor will deliver the Second Assault expansion first to the Xbox One. In-step with its GDC reveal, EA showed off another single player demonstration.
- Halo: a new Halo title is coming in 2014 from Black Tusk Studios, and that's about all Microsoft is willing to share for now.
- Titanfall: an exclusive title from Respawn Studios due out in Spring, 2014. The game features futuristic action, including a space battle, mech combat, and commandos with jetpacks.