Last week, a 23-year-old Chinese woman died after allegedly being electrocuted by her iPhone 5, and now Apple has confirmed that it is investigating the role its products may have played in her death. According to Reuters, Ma Ailun from China's Xinjiang region was electrocuted when she answered her iPhone 5 while it was charging. A message posted by her sister on the Sina Weibo micro-blogging site picked up a significant amount of attention after the accident, and China's official Xinhua news agency quoted police confirming the accident and subsequent death.

Apple has since provided us with the following statement: "We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter." It's far too early to tell what exactly happened to cause Ma Ailun's death, but we imagine Apple will want to determine whether its hardware was actually at fault as soon as it can.