WDTV Live vs Chromecast (slow rollout in the UK so found a better alternative)
After getting the WDTV Live, I have no intention of getting a chromecast. (from the UK, slow roll-out and i just found a better alternative for £70, sorry google you took too long!)
- Plug and play just like chromecast, you only have to setup the internet connection (just like chromecast)
- It has native support from Netflix/Youtube/Spotify.
- It can stream http links without a hitch or buffer also you can send linkes from the youtube app on your android to the WDTV box and it will just play. (similar to chromecast, it even has the cast icon on the app)
- I can launch XBMC on my laptop (kind of using it as a server) and then * * navigate to files on WDTV and there are all my movies/tv/music, i was floored how easy it is.
- Here is a big one, it can stream my 1080p mkv DTS (10gb+) without any buffering and no transcoding needed! This one was a big plus for me.
- Works with BubbleUPnP which will be getting the chromecast support but already works with WDTV. You can browse your XBMC library and just send it to your tv (you have to select WDTV as a renderer)
- You can cast Google Play Music to WDTV now.
There is nothing the chromecast can do that this cheap box can't! also the 1080p mkv DTS has no issues whatsoever. Anyobody else use this? Chromecast would of won me over if they rolled out quicker in the UK but now I have no intention of buying one since WDTV Live can do just the same thing.