Why the Xbox One will be on par if not better than the PS4.
Albert Penello, Microsoft Director of Product Planning, has been getting some more details for anyone interested in this generations console war, and it looks like what I thought from the beginning. Between Microsoft's far superior experience in software (don't even try to argue this, that would be sad), their ownership of cloud services, fathering of multiple languages (one such being C# with the framework to follow, .NET), creator of Visual Studio which is hands-down the best IDE to develop in (2012 on), oh and don't forget creator of multiple OS's that give them global majority market share of desktops, and last but not least, creator now of two systems that have both been well received and helped expand online gaming on the console to make it what it is today, may know a thing or two about gaming. Oh, I almost forgot, they wrote Direct X, there we go, pretty solid foundation wouldn't you agree?
Here's what he said
• 18 CU's vs. 12 CU's =/= 50% more performance. Multi-core processors have inherent inefficiency with more CU's, so it's simply incorrect to say 50% more GPU.
• Adding to that, each of our CU's is running 6% faster. It's not simply a 6% clock speed increase overall.
• We have more memory bandwidth. 176gb/sec is peak on paper for GDDR5. Our peak on paper is 272gb/sec. (68gb/sec DDR3 + 204gb/sec on ESRAM). ESRAM can do read/write cycles simultaneously so I see this number mis-quoted.
• We have at least 10% more CPU. Not only a faster processor, but a better audio chip also offloading CPU cycles.
• We understand GPGPU and its importance very well. Microsoft invented Direct Compute, and have been using GPGPU in a shipping product since 2010 - it's called Kinect.
• Speaking of GPGPU - we have 3X the coherent bandwidth for GPGPU at 30gb/sec which significantly improves our ability for the CPU to efficiently read data generated by the GPU.
There is however one thing to note about the above, when talking about CU's he's not referring to a comparison with the PS4, but about the increase from 800MHz to 853MHz, this is not a comparison to Sony's clock rate which we don't know.
Here's an interview with Rev3Games Albert Penello had on the "180" with Adam Sessler. He would have been a much better face for this product than Don Mattrick or Marc Whitten.
As a side note, this is in no way to rag on the PlayStation 4's capabilities, the PlayStation was my first console and I loved it, sadly Final Fantasy was the game that made it for me (7-9) and 10 killed it for me (I know a lot of people love it, it was just a step away from what I loved about the game). I have owned a PS, PS2, PSP, and PS3 and may eventually get the PS4 for it's awesome exclusives. This is to help curb the ignorant people who haven't been up to date on their spec facts and honestly think that the PS4 is just going to blow the Xbox One out of the water, and who are more likely Microsoft haters than Sony fanboy's.
The Xbox and Xbox 360 ushered in online gaming, brought us more adult titles (Gears of War, Halo) along with some interesting ones (Fable, Mass Effect, Bioshock), so to see it take a beating, with people arguing it wont have the games, or it'll be spyware (which btw little fact, Skype had NSA backdoors before Microsoft acquired it, to the idiots who think otherwise, also any cellphone, tablet, computer or webcam are the exact same), or it's graphics will be crap, or that it's just not next generation, when in fact between the two consoles it's the only thing doing ANYTHING new, it's just sad. Neither console, nor their devs, deserve to read that crap 24/7 from misinformed, unintelligent fanboy's. We already ruin games by being arseholes, we don't need to ruin systems as well.
As a side note, with all this unrelenting hate Microsoft gets for absolutely anything it does, they should change their motto to "Microsoft, the company you love to hate.", because that's the cold hard truth about them. They've given the world a lot more than any other tech company (with Google in a close second), and we've given them the finger back, with plenty wanting to see them fall. It's stupidity at it's finest. Well /rant, I just hope both systems dominate and do well, so we have solid competition left in the console world.