Attention: 2013/09/17 deadline to upgrade iOS without a performance hit to iPhone iPad iPod

You know, I'm an on-again off-again Apple lover, Apple hater. As an energy efficiency guy with a particular bent on maximizing existing hardware, you'll excuse me for getting more than a little annoyed when any vendor delivers the next greatest OS/software, only to suck monkey balls if installed on anything but the latest hardware. Accelerated consumerist obsolescence, I say.

In Apple's case, it's a near certainty that the new iPhone 5S will be an overnight hit, with screaming performance and razzle-you-dazzle-me features of iOS7 starting September 18th. It's all well and good that 95% of Apple iOS developers have been focused for the last 6-12 months on making a top notch execution on the 5S, after all that's what Apple does best. The other 5% of iOS developers were dutifully making optimizations for the other new flagship product about to be delivered, the 5C. Where does that leave very other Apple product including the popular iPhone 5/4S/4, iPad 2 & 3? One or two poor developers in the corner got tasked with making iOS7 "compatible" with such older devices... supposedly all the way back to the iPhone 4.

IF YOU WANT AN EXCUSE TO GET THE NEXT APPLE 'ME TOO' GADGET, HAVE AT 'ER. IF INSTEAD YOU WOULD LIKE YOUR iDEVICE TO KEEP THE SPEED AND FUNCTION IT PRESENTLY HAS, FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO POSTPONE GOING TO iOS7

1. On or before 2013/09/17 update & backup your device to the desired iOS version. If you're pre iOS6, you may strongly want to consider moving to the latest and greatest iOS6, before it's no-longer available on Sept 18th. This way, you'll retain access to all of the latest apps for at least another year. Be sure to back this up, so you have a great version to revert to in case you "accidentally" try iOS7.

2. Ignore, Disable, and say "No" to iOS software updates. If an option is available Sep 18th in "Settings > General > Software Update" to Disable updates, do it.

I'm all for modernization and progress, but not at the expense of legacy users. If you or I want to continue using our iDevices as long as possible, we should be able to without being trapped in slow-as-molasses funk and feel the pressure to get new hardware. There may be some new dazzle-me feature in the new iOS, but play it safe. At least have a back-up.

And consider upgrading next summer to a 7.1.x version that has many of the security holes and performance issued addressed. Just in time to beat the next iOS dance...

... and well your at it, may as well make sure you always keep your battery topped up / trickle charging, never dropping it to zero. And your battery may just outlast that aspect of planned obsolescence as well. ;)