Can people really tell the difference in Win8.1, or is it just the name?
There are a lot of Windows 7 computers sold today.
I don't understand it.
If Windows 8.1 is configured the right way, I believe at least 90% of the people could not tell it is different.
OEMs already put a lot of crap on the machines, why don't they brand them as 'Windows 7 style'?
ToDo for OEMs that like to sell Windows 7 style machine:
- Boot to Desktop. Deactivate Charms, and left corner
- Deactivate Lock screen via registry
- Classic Wallpapers, Login background
- Start8 or something like it
- Open IE always on desktop
- 3rd Party Wireless Menu
What you are left with, is a system that acts almost exactly like Windows 7 and still you are left with the good parts:
- File History
- faster Boot
- Better SSD support
- More secure
- Better Update handling
- No Upgrade necessary to switch to Win8 one day.
There is no doubt in my mind, that Windows 8.1 is an improvement for all Windows 7 users.
So is this a pure marketing, brand problem?