Microsoft, please give us start screen backgrounds instead of skinned tiles!
It was a sad day when I found out that this is what Microsoft is planning for WP 8.1. I keep asking myself why and never get an answer.
Why I believe that skinned tiles isn't the way to go:
- It would clutter the home screen.
- Flipping skinned-tiles will make the background image look like a chess table with pieces on it!
- How would they manage having a very tall wallpaper to cover up a long start screen? God please not by repeating the background!
- It's just plain ugly and ruins the simplicity of WP.
- It's a step closer of unifying the experience between WP and Windows 8.
- Users can choose from a pre-set of simplistic backgrounds (Just like Windows 8), which keeps the OS simple too.
- Grouping tiles is a must, especially for people who have more than 50 pinned tiles on their start screen.
- Semantic Zoom can be used to quickly jump between tiles on your start screen (it's the answer for Androids pinch out that brings all the different home-screens in a quick jump, small view list).
- Grouping tiles creates gaps between them, so the background can show (this argument is for people that always say there is no point of having a background).
1- Start With Background. 2- Semantic Zoom. 3- App List.
If you agree with me, please give me your vote on the feature suggestion page for Windows Phone. HERE