Panasonic has released firmware update version 1.2 for its Lumix DMC-G3 and GF3 cameras, fixing version 1.1's compatibility problems with some Zuiko Digital macro and zoom lenses. The previous update was just released a week before and added the following power zoom functions to the firmware for compatible lenses:
- Display focal length - displays the focal length so you can confirm the zoom position
- Step zoom - stops the zoom at predetermined distances
- Zoom resume - restores the last zoom position when the camera is powered on
- Zoom speed - sets zoom speed
- Zoom ring - enables or disables manual zoom control when a compatible lens is attached
You can use power zoom lenses without the update, but Panasonic recommends you install it. Whether or not you updated to 1.1 last week, a world of power zoom options awaits you in version 1.2.