clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Apple pledges to power data center entirely with renewable energy by 2013

New, 28 comments

Apple today announced its plans to power its Maiden, North Carolina data center with solely renewable energy sources by the end of the year.

If you buy something from a Verge link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

apple maiden day 1020
apple maiden day 1020

Apple today announced its plans to power its Maiden, North Carolina data center with solely renewable energy sources by the end of the year. The company will combine the 100-acre, 20-megawatt solar array and 5-megawatt fuel cell system that it had already begun constructing with clean energy purchased from local sources. Apple's on-site resources will account for 60 percent of energy consumption, while the remaining 40 percent will come from regional wind, solar, and bio-gas farms.

Although the facility was already on track to earn LEED Platinum certification, a Greenpeace report released in April criticized Apple's consumption estimates and the cleanliness of its external energy sources. Microsoft was the subject of similar scrutiny, and earlier this month announced its plans to reach carbon neutrality by July.

Upon completion, Apple's Maiden, North Carolina facility will be its first entirely green data center, though the company has announced similar initiatives for other locations in Oregon and California.