The Verge Mobile Show is back, and with recent earning reports from Verizon, AT&T, Nokia, and Apple, there is a lot to discuss. On this week's episode Dieter and special guest David Pierce welcome back Vlad from his Bulgarian escapades. With Chris on assignment, and Dieter freshly trimmed, Vlad steps in to fill the show's beard quota. What is Vlad's idea of a perfect mutant smartphone? Why did Dieter switch to the Lumia 900 as his daily driver? What makes David want to cry? Find out the answers to all these questions and more on The Verge Mobile Show.
- 00:02:30 - Verizon Q2 2012 financial results: 888k new wireless subscribers, half of customers using smartphones
- 00:03:50 - AT&T's Q2 2012 financials: 320,000 net new postpaid subscribers, profit of $3.9 billion
- 00:22:30 - Nokia Q2 results reveal $1 billion operating loss, 4 million Lumia handsets sold, and a lack of US penetration
- 00:25:20 - Windows Phone 8 rumored for September RTM, November debut
- 00:36:45 - Apple posts rare earnings miss on weaker than expected iPhone sales
- 00:48:10 - Beats buys back controlling interest from HTC, mobile exclusivity to continue
- 00:54:40 - Google's Sparrow acquisition: bringing 'beauty' to Gmail
- 01:03:25 - Twitter CEO Dick Costolo wants 'a world where people build into Twitter,' not off of it
- 01:10:15 - How many people use third-party Twitter apps?