clock menu more-arrow no yes
Sam Spread
Sam Spread

Filed under:

What's in your bag, Sam Sheffer?

What's in your bag? is a recurring feature where we ask people to tell us a bit more about their everyday gadgets by opening their bags and hearts to us. Show us your bag in this forum post. This week, we're featuring Sam Sheffer.

I commute from New Jersey to New York City five days a week, which means that traveling as light as possible is a top priority for me. My job requires me to have some sort of laptop with an internet connection, and that's about it. What you'll find below are the essentials, the things that I can never leave the house without.

The Basics

The Basics

Sam 765

Jansport

I am a man of simplicity, which you can see in my bag of choice. Yes, it’s a Jansport with just two pockets. My brother got me this bag from SXSW three years ago, it’s since become my travel companion of choice. It’s got a killer patch on the side, and I’ve decorated it with a HypeMachine and a Polygon pin. The big pocket is reserved for my laptop and comb, and the small pocket (surprisingly) houses everything else.

Sam 765

Macbook Pro

This laptop is actually the second personal computer I’ve owned – I had the 2008 unibody Pro for two years until I sold it and bought this in 2010. I went for an i7 processor and upgraded screen, and haven’t looked back. And yes, I love stickers. Here’s what you see: Reddit, GitHub, Cryptocat, Plan B, Bones, Jimmy John’s, EISE, The Dharma Initiative, and (not shown, next to the trackpad) Banksy.

Section TOC Title

Electronics

iPhone 4S

As some of you may or may not know, I’ve owned every iPhone since the 3G. My iPhone has replaced my point-and-shoot, is my workout companion and iMessage communication device. I sort of regret buying a white one, though, mainly because there’s a 99% chance that if you’re a female iPhone owner, it’s white. I am not a female. I am the 1%.



Galaxy Nexus

I bought this beast for full retail back in November. I really wanted to give Android 4.0 a chance while it was fresh, and now I get to use Jelly Bean while it’s the new hotness. I fully switched over to the Galaxy Nexus for six months and learned a lot about what the OS has to offer. I carry this and my iPhone everywhere I go.




Apple Earbuds

Believe it or not, these are not my headphones of choice. Admittedly, I had a pair of Studio Beats in college that somehow disappeared on me. As I mentioned above, I commute to work, which involves about two hours of sitting on trains each day. I enjoy listening to music, and these work fine as a substitute — or until about an hour in when my ears grow sore.

Vi5a2676
Vi5a2676
Vi5a2676






Kimber-ent


Kimber-mo
Kimber-tea

Stuff



Ray-Ban sunglasses

I bought these sunglasses a few summers ago and they’re way up there on my list of favorite purchases. These limited edition shades feature artwork by Matt W. Moore and you won’t be able to find a pair like this anywhere — seriously, go check eBay.






Makeshift wallet

I’ve gone through a bunch of different wallets in my time on earth (mainly, Fossil), and I’ve yet to find anything that suits me. And by suits me I mean one that’s small enough to fit in my back pocket and not bother me. I decided to wrap a hair-tie around my various credit cards and cash (usually a few bucks). I’ve been doing this for a year or so and have no intention of purchasing a wallet any time soon.




Keys

I need to get into the office. I need to get into my house. Nothing more, nothing less.



Video Review

Etc

Vi5a2666

Water bottle

I’ve recently picked up running and now I’m constantly sipping on two hydrogens and an oxygen – that’s water, by the way.

Gum

There are a few things that I never leave the house without; gum is absolutely one of them. And I’m not very fond of minty flavors, to be honest.

Comb

How do you think my hair looks the way it does?



Business cards

Because meeting people IRL is still a thing, apparently.

Gaming

Blizzard boss details what the studio is doing to ‘rebuild your trust’

Apps

TikTok is thinking about letting its creators charge subscription fees

Entertainment

Netflix co-CEO says there will ‘absolutely’ be a second season of Squid Game