The Emoji Art and Design Show
- Based on the wildly popular Tumblr, prints from ‘Emojinal Art’ reimagine canonical paintings as, well, a bit more emotive.
- Liza Nelson’s ‘IRL. LOL’ creates shrines to individual emoji. Says the artist: “They deserve to be observed and worshipped individually.”
- Jeanette Hayes’ ‘Lichtensteinoji’ reimagines a Pop Art classic in what she calls today’s version of Ben-Day dots.
- The create ‘Emoji Dick,” Fred Benson outsourced the translation of each one of ‘Moby Dick’s 10,000 lines to three separate workers, whose labor he crowdsourced on Mechanical Turk.
- In ‘Transiconmorphosis,’ artists Emilio Vavarella and Fito Segrera sit back to back and chat; when an emoji is sent to one, muscle stimulators twist his face into the shape of the smiley.
- “To be honest,” says the artists, “the frown hurts a little.”
- ‘Melroji Place’ translates ‘Melrose Place’ for the “emotionally challenged.”
- Maya Ben-Ezer’s ‘Shift Key’ reimagines the typewriter keyboard as it may appear today.