Berlin Stasi museum
- As protesters stormed the headquarters, Stasi workers attempted to destroy equipment like the cameras above.
- Even trees could have hidden eyes. The camera here looked out of holes bored in the side of the trunk.
- A tiny lens peeks out of a jacket's pocket; a hidden hand pump let the wearer snap photos.
- Bags, clutches, and wallets could all hold hidden cameras. The one shown here also contains a portable radio.
- The office of Erich Mielke, who built the Stasi into a formidable surveillance agency between 1957 and 1989.
- A bugged watch could capture conversations, but a much larger recording device had to be carried separately.