Spark-Renault SRT_01E Formula E electric race car pictures
- This is the first Formula E car in the world. For the inaugural 2014 - 2015 season, all ten teams' cars will be based on this model, which is called the Spark-Renault SRT_01E.
- It is an all-electric vehicle and its engine can produce 200kW of power — roughly equivalent to 270 horsepower.
- Since it's an electric car, there are no gears to shift through. The steering wheel is immensely simplified from a Formula 1 wheel. One dial here controls the amount of brake regeneration.
- Legendary racing teams like Renault, McLaren, Williams, and Dallara helped build the car.
- Former Formula 1 driver Lucas di Grassi piloted the Formula E car around a Vegas parking lot.
- He promptly treated the crowd to a burnout and a few donuts.
- The race car is not silent — in addition to tire roar and the sound of wind blowing around the vehicle, the electric engine whirrs with a high-pitched note similar to a RC toy car.
- Formula E organizers have no intention of adding artificial sounds to the cars during racing, though they will add a sound for when cars drive down pit row — for safety reasons.