Halloween is drawing closer, and with it comes a slaughter of costumes, parties, and themed merchandise. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) Studios and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment collaborated with cult decor company Skuzzles to create limited edition artwork for 13 cult classics. Like the movie posters of yesterday, these images are bold, vibrant, and sometimes just a little over-the-top.
Joshua Budich's take on The Return of the Living Dead is soaked in reds, and largely dominated by the grotesque Tarman who looms like an oozing nightmare moon over the movie's punkish cast. The Last House on the Left is far subtler, comprised of soothing greens and a quiet tranquility that seem absolutely dissonant when paired with the horrific violence of the actual movie. "I found the scene where Mari walks into the water to be quite haunting and probably the most pivotal moment," says artist Dan Mumford in a statement. "So, I worked from that and created quite a haunting still moment based around the lake she walks into." The collection also includes a minimalist design for The Silence of the Lambs, and an eerie exploration of how the aliens in Invasion of the Body Snatchers might interact with the human physiology.
The walls of our cinemas are now papered with action-packed movie posters, the kind consisting of salaciously posed women and men in dramatic poses. However, companies like Skuzzle and Mondo help to remind us that once upon a time, these simple promotional items were genuine works of art. The re-released movies carrying these striking faceplates can be found at major retailers like Best Buy, Target, and Walmart.
- Carrie, 1976 by Ghoulish Gary Pulin
- Child's Play - Chucky's 20th Birthday Edition - 25th Anniversary Special Edition, 1976 by Jason Edmiston
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1978 by Todd Slater
- Jeepers Creepers - Collector's Edition, 2001 by Francesco Francavilla
- Killer Klowns from Outer Space, 1988 by Jason Edmiston
- The Last House on the Left, 1978 by Dan Mumford
- Misery - Collector's Edition, 1990 by Paul Shipper
- Species, 1995 by Justin Osborne
- Teen Wolf, 1985 by Ghoulish Gary Pulin
- The Amityville Horror, 1979 by Ghoulish Gary Pulin
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, 1986 by Grzegorz Domaradzki
- Silence of the Lambs, 1991 by Randy Ortiz