Sony has announced that it will shutter 20 of its 31 retail stores in the United States by the end of 2014. The move is an attempt "to further streamline costs and continue focus on existing partner relations." Essentially, Sony has realized it's wasting money and other resources by pumping them into its limited US retail presence — especially when most consumers either buy online at Amazon or head to other stores like Best Buy for the company's items. "While these moves were extremely tough, they were absolutely necessary to position us in the best possible place for future growth," said Mike Fasulo, president and COO of Sony Electronics in a press release.
The closures come as part of a large, wide-reaching attempt to restructure Sony into a smaller, more focused company. Sony previously announced that it intends to eliminate 5,000 jobs globally; 1,000 of those cuts will hit US workers by year's end. Six Sony Store locations have already been closed since the start of this year.
The Sony Store isn't being wiped out entirely, however. Eleven locations will remain open. Those include:
- South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, Calif.
- Stanford Shopping Center, Palo Alto, Calif.
- Fashion Valley, San Diego, Calif.
- University Town Center, San Diego, Calif.
- Aventura Mall, Aventura, Fla.
- The Mall at Millenia, Orlando, Fla.
- Roosevelt Field, Garden City, N.Y.
- Walt Whitman, Huntington Station, N.Y.
- Sony Plaza, New York, N.Y.
- Houston Galleria, Houston, Texas
- The Americana at Brand, Glendale, Calif.
The 20 stores below are on the chopping block. So if one of these locations is nearby, you'll want to pay at least one final visit before 2014 comes to a close. After that, you'll be too late.
- Camarillo Premium Outlets, Camarillo, Calif.
- Gilroy Premium Outlets, Gilroy, Calif.
- Century City, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Las Americas Premium Outlets, San Diego, Calif.
- Valley Fair, Santa Clara, Calif.
- Cherry Creek Shopping Center, Denver, Colo.
- Town Center at Boca Raton, Boca Raton, Fla.
- Dolphin Mall, Miami, Fla.
- Chicago Premium Outlets, Aurora, Ill.
- Wrentham Village Premium Outlets, Wrentham, Mass.
- The Forum Shops at Caesars, Las Vegas, Nev.
- Menlo Park Mall, Edison, N.J.
- Woodbury Common Premium Outlets, Central Valley, N.Y.
- The Market at Comcast Center, Philadelphia, Penn.
- Galleria Dallas, Dallas, Texas
- San Marcos Prime Outlets, San Marcos, Texas
- The Fashion Centre at Pentagon City, Arlington, Va.
- Tysons Corner Center, McLean, Va.
- University Village, Seattle, Wash.
- Pleasant Prairie Prime Outlets, Pleasant Prairie, Wis.