Massimo Vignelli designs
- Unveiled in 1972, Vignelli's subway map distorted New York's boroughs in order to make some sense of them.
- Vignelli created a manual for how New York's transit authority should display everything from arrows to route names. The entire manual is available online at thestandardsmanual.com.
- Bloomingdale's "big brown bag," created by Vignelli, hasn't just inspired smaller bags, but accessories based on their iconic design too, from totes to iPhone cases.
- Vignelli created the "AA" logo and wordmark used by American Airlines until last year. (Chris Parypa Photography / Shutterstock)
- A poster for Knoll International, created in 1966. Credit: AIGA.
- Even recently, Vignelli's subway map still had a presence in New York — limited as it may be. (Credit: Michael Cory / Flickr)