Industrial designers love to be provocative almost as much as they enjoy being original. Fulfilling both briefs with a furious disregard for common sense, leading French designer Philippe Starck has this week unveiled a new range of electric bikes. Dubbed Starckbike and built by e-bike specialists Moustache, the new collection features four distinct styles, each with "specific ergonomics adapted to its terrain and field of exploration."
The Mud Starckbike is designed for all-terrain adventuring. While it lacks any actual mudguards, it makes up for it with a tasteful "medium hot grayscale" color scheme and a selection of high-end components. The Asphalt is tuned for comfort on urban roads, and the Sand and Snow (pictured above) come with fat tyres to help them negotiate the surfaces that give them their respective names. Only the Snow Starckbike adds something a little extra: a synthetic fur cover for its battery. That's complemented by a similarly fuzzy set of accessories, including gloves, a backpack, and a fur-lined helmet. It's all quite ridiculous and thoroughly delightful to behold. Then again, what else would you expect from the man who designed Steve Jobs' futuristic yacht and the Blade Runner hard drive?
- The Mud Starckbike. The stitching on the handlebars is evocative of luxury steering wheel design in cars.
- Clockwise from top left: the Mud, Asphalt, Snow, and Sand gloves. Each pair has been designed in partnership with boutique glove maker Causse to match the particular use of its respective bike.
- The Asphalt Starckbike alongside its custom-tailored backpack.
- A set of four handmade pairs of sunglasses accompanies the bike collection.
- The fur-lined Snow backpack.
- Produced by Giro, here's the fur-lined Snow helmet, replete with visor, to complete the look.
- Rear view of the Starck Snow bike.
- A prototype for the Asphalt helmet with the visor deployed.
- Like the Snow, the Sand Starckbike also comes with a protective cover for integrated stowage.
- The premium fat tyres have been patterned and branded for the ultimate combination of flashy functionality.