New smartphones in September 2014
A selection of some of the most interesting smartphones launching in September 2014.
- iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus Apple moves up in size class with a 4.7-inch and a 5.5-inch version of its latest flagship phone.
- BlackBerry Passport You've never seen a smartphone quite like the Passport. If innovation is measured by how new and different a device is, the Passport wins this year's prize easily.
- HTC Desire 820 An 8-megapixel front-facing camera betrays this phone's intended purpose as a selfie taker. BoomSound speakers, a 64-bit processor, and a generous 5.5-inch screen combine with a reasonable price to make the 820 an interesting option for entertainment lovers.
- Huawei Ascend P7 Sapphire A 5-inch sapphire display on the front and a ceramic-reinforced back are wrapped around an aluminum frame. This phone will be available in a limited edition in China, though if there's greater demand for its combination of premium materials and consumer-friendly price, it could broaden its horizons.
- Lumia 830 Combining the two strengths of what was once Nokia's phone division — camera optics and high-end design — the Lumia 830 aims to be a more affordable alternative to the best Windows Phones.
- Moto X (2014) Everything's bigger, better, and more premium with the new Moto X. Our choice for the best Android smartphone currently on the market.
- Moto G (2014) The successor to Motorola's best selling smartphone.
- Galaxy Note Edge What was once a far-off concept and a mere prototype at a trade show is about to turn into a retail reality. Samsung's flexible display technology has been deployed in the Edge to add an extra dimension, which will be used to display things like notifications and camera controls.
- Xperia Z3 Sony's new flagship phone retains much of its predecessor's specs and design, but smoothes down the edges and delivers more refined ergonomics as a result.
- Xperia Z3 Compact Same size as the earlier Z1 Compact, but with a bigger screen and a softer, more ergonomic design. Sony's no-compromise spec for this handset makes it as appealing as the senior Z3.
- Galaxy Alpha Samsung realized that chamfered metal edges are actually pretty awesome, and its first phone to feature this improved design is easily its most attractive one to date.