Sure, that first Game of Thrones season six teaser all but answered a rather large question from last season's finale, but it lacked any new footage. (The staff is divided on whether that's an updated close-up shot of Bran, but we're siding with no.) So for those clamoring for something, literally anything from the upcoming season, have we got a treasure trove for you: about three seconds of new footage from HBO's 2015 Yearender piece. Feel free to skip to 2:15 for the good parts.
It's not quite blink-and-you'll-miss-it since a blink takes less than half a second, but it's close — 10-blinks-in-quick-succession-and-you'll-miss-it, for sure. In less than 100 frames, we get to see three moments of the new season: Despondent Daenerys, Riding Ramsay, and Sweet Cersei matching haircuts with Tommon.
So there you have it: one poster, three seconds of footage, and a line of voice-over from the teaser. The Yearender piece also features past Game of Thrones footage, which we've timestamped here:
- 0:06-0:09 — Blue Snow (repeat)
- 0:30-0:32 — Dragons, feat. Girls and Smaug* (repeat)
- 0:56-1:00 — Dramatic Dany (repeat)
- 1:17-1:19 — Hopeful Cersei (repeat)
- 2:15-2:18 — New footage alert
- 2:36-2:40 — Dragon Jumping! (repeat)
And for those who want to analyze every pixel of the precious few scenes, we present screencaps in all their glory:
- What is she looking at?
- Why isn't she worried about the trees behind her?
- Is that necklace at all comfortable? It looks uncomfortable.
- What's he looking at?
- What's his horse thinking about?
- Is Jon Snow an allegory for the proletariat?
- What's she looking at?
- Is that ring comfortable? It looks uncomfortable.
- Will Steph Curry be this year's NBA MVP?
* Note: The Verge staff is now arguing if this is indeed Smaug from The Hobbit or new footage of GoT dragons, especially given the lack of subtitles presented on all other film footage in the trailer except this scene. We'll leave it to you to decide / argue / confirm / deny / corroborate / confabulate.