Today is a very special day. Today is a day we celebrate love and hope and love and kissing and sex and hearts and candy and having someone who will care when you die. It's very real, and very serious. Some people don't have that person, and for those people, I've made the only playlist you'll ever need.
There's the pinnacle of loneliness: Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" (based on a true story). There's a desperate torch song: Dusty Springfield's truly pitiful "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me." There's Drake, alone and drunk in a basement: "Marvins Room." There's the Violent Femmes' pleading, self-loathing "Please Do Not Go." A few loops should take you through the night. I tried to end the playlist on a high note with Daniel Johnston's "True Love Will Find You in the End," but you can decide for yourself if that's actually optimistic.
Listening to this today is truly a feat of crushingly sad endurance. Congratulations.
- Bright Eyes - If Winter Ends
- Bonnie Raitt - I Can't Make You Love Me
- The Magnetic Fields - I Don't Want To Get Over You
- Dusty Springfield - You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
- Webb Pierce - There Stands The Glass
- Ray J - One Wish
- The xx - Night Time
- Tom Waits - Anywhere I Lay My Head
- Mitski - Your Best American Girl
- Joni Mitchell - A Case of You
- Drake - Marvins Room
- Frank Ocean - Ivy
- Moondog - High on a Rocky Ledge
- Nina Simone - Since I Fell For You
- Lewis - Like To See You Again
- Violent Femmes - Please Do Not Go
- Kate Bush - You're The One
- Hank Williams - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
- Daniel Johnston - True Love Will Find You in the End