Samsung is offering Note 7 owners in South Korea the chance to upgrade their phone to a Note 8 for half the price when the as-yet-unannounced handset becomes available next year. The company announced the deal as part of an ongoing exchange program for the Note 7 in its home country, but according to Reuters, there's no word on whether the same offer will be made in the US.
Here's Reuters describing the (Korean language) press release from Samsung:
In a statement on Monday, Samsung said customers who trade in their Note 7 phone for either a flat-screen or curved-screen version of the Galaxy S7 can trade up for a Galaxy S8 or Note 8 smartphone launching next year through an upgrade programme.
The news seemingly confirms that Samsung will be continuing the Note line despite the disaster of the Note 7, which was permanently discontinued earlier this month. According to Reuters, Note 7 owners in Korea will only have to pay half the price of a Galaxy S7 to get their hands on a Galaxy S8 or Note 8 next year. When Samsung was asked if the same deal would be extended to other markets, the company told Reuters this would depend on "the situation in each country."
This is only the latest incentive Samsung has offered Note 7 owners in an attempt to keep them loyal to the company's brand. In the US, for example, Note 7 owners can get $25 in credit if they refund the defective phone or exchange for another device. But, if they exchange it for another Samsung phone, that credit incentive is bumped up to $100. Clearly, the company isn't just worried about getting dangerous Note 7s out of customers' hands — they're also afraid the Samsung brand might be tainted for good.