A 25-year-old Frenchman accused of killing two police employees outside Paris Monday night reportedly broadcast the attack on Facebook Live, according to reports in French media.
The suspect, identified as Larossi Abballa, stabbed a police commander to death in front of his home Monday evening, before taking his partner and three-year-old son hostage. Security forces later stormed the home and killed the attacker. The son was rescued, but his mother, also a police employee, was found dead. ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, which French President François Hollande described as "unquestionably a terrorist act." The slain police commander has been identified as Jean-Baptiste Salvaing, 42.
David Thomson, a Paris-based journalist who specializes in French jihadism, said in a series of tweets Monday that Aballa streamed a video from inside the home on Facebook Live. Citing multiple sources, French news station BFM TV reports that Abballa swore allegiance to ISIS in the 13-minute video, and showed images of the two victims. According to Thomson, the three-year-old son was behind a couch as Abballa streamed the video, with the suspect saying, "I don’t know yet what I’m going to do with him."
Abballa also posted photos of the victims to his Facebook account, Thomson said, and called for more attacks on policemen, prison guards, journalists, and rappers, citing some by name in the video. He later said that the UEFA Euro soccer tournament, currently underway across France, "will be a cemetery." Two Facebook accounts associated with Abballa have since been suspended.
France has been on high alert leading up to this month's Euro tournament, and in the wake of recent terrorist attacks in Brussels and Paris. The country has been under a state of emergency since the November attacks in Paris, and the government passed sweeping legislation to expand surveillance powers following last year's attacks on the office of Charlie Hebdo and a kosher supermarket.
Abballa was known to French security agencies and had been under surveillance for his connection to another man who left for Syria, French media reported Tuesday. He was convicted in 2013 for his involvement in recruiting jihadists in Pakistan and Afghanistan.