Game of Thrones has never been about giving readers or viewers what they most want. It’s more about creating fan expectations, then overturning them for narrative impact — and sometimes for pure shock value. But as long as the series is running, we can all live in hope that at least a few of the characters will come to a satisfying, well-deserved ending. That’s why there’s Game of Thrones Hope Chest, a new weekly poll where we put all our hopes together in one place. We aren’t asking what you think is going to happen on Game of Thrones, we’re asking: what do you most hope to see happen?
This week, we’re considering the fate of Cersei Lannister, one of the series’s few remaining long-term villains. Internet speculation has run high on how her story will end. She’s a major character, so the assumption is that she’ll die memorably at some point, but fans are extremely divided on how exactly it’s going to happen. The “valonqar” prophecy says she’ll be killed by a “little brother,” which people have alternately taken to mean Cersei’s younger brother Tyrion, her possibly younger twin Jaime, or just a character who is someone else’s little brother, like Sandor “The Hound” Clegane. Other interpretations say the gender of “valonqar” isn’t actually clear, and it could just mean “younger sibling.” That would, for instance, fit Arya Stark, now a trained assassin who’s had Cersei Lannister on the hit list she’s been reciting since early in the series. Still other prognosticators say that since the prophecy only exists in George R.R. Martin’s books, and not in the TV adaptation, the showrunners can take Cersei’s storyline in any direction they want.
The big question is, at this point, what do viewers most want to see happen to Cersei by the end of the show? What do you most want to happen?
What would be the most satisfying conclusion to Cersei Lannister’s story?
This poll is closed
- 10%Killed by Tyrion Lannister(475 votes)
- 34%Killed by Jaime Lannister(1564 votes)
- 28%Killed by a Stark (likely Arya, but possibly Sansa or Jon Snow)(1272 votes)
- 4%Killed by Daenerys, her dragons, or her minions(163 votes)
- 1%Killed by another significant character (the Hound, the Mountain, Brienne, etc.)(56 votes)
- 2%Betrayed and murdered by one of her own minions (e.g., Qyburn)(82 votes)
- 2%Dies by ironic mischance (e.g., a building collapsing on her as she flees)(76 votes)
- 2%Despairs and commits suicide(104 votes)
- 3%Escapes to a new life or is somehow redeemed(139 votes)
- 2%Is captured and tried for her crimes(98 votes)
- 11%Wins the game of thrones and ends the series as undisputed queen(488 votes)
- 1%Other (spell it out below, we’re curious)(66 votes)