The Verge guide to Android
Tips and tricks for how to use your Android phone
As always, the new OS is coming to Google’s Pixel phones first, and when it does come to Samsung and other Android devices, it will probably be tweaked somewhat by the manufacturer. But whether you have uploaded Android 12 into your Pixel or are still using Android 11 on another phone, we’ve assembled a guide that will help you make the most of your mobile life.
The Verge guide to Android is a comprehensive resource that will help you learn how to use your Android phone’s best features and further educate you about this popular and flexible mobile operating system. We’ve separated out some of the new features found in Android 12, but you can also check out Android 101 and Hardware Help for tips that will apply to the majority of Android phones.
Everything you need to know about Android
We have advice and step-by-step instructions for beginners and experts. Our how-tos can teach you everything you need to know about some of your phone’s more advanced features. Take a look around and learn how to use Google Pay, send texts from your web browser, take screenshots, and even install Fortnite (which isn’t as easy as it sounds).
Be sure to check back regularly, as we’ll be updating The Verge guide to Android with new articles and tips over time.
- How to use Android 12’s call screening features
- How Android 12 lets you control your phone with facial gestures
- How Android 12 lets you customize your phone’s color palette
- How to make Android 12’s device control panel easier to access
- How to use Android 12’s clever new auto-rotate system
- How to take advantage of Android 12’s new privacy options
Android 101: The basics
- Android 101: how to tweak your multitasking pane
- Android 101: how to update Android apps
- How to stop location tracking on your Android phone (mostly)
- Android 101: how to use Google Pay
- Android 101: how to organize your homescreen
- Android 101: how to download or share a Google Photos album
- Android 101: how to free up space on your phone
- How to take screenshots on your Android phone
Tips and tricks
- How to turn your Android phone into a digital picture frame
- How to change the font on your Samsung Galaxy phone
- How to enable Android’s dark mode for Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- How to switch languages using the Android Gboard keyboard
- How to install Fortnite on Android
- How to text from your computer with Android Messages
- How to check your Android phone’s notifications on a Windows PC
- How to manage your Android lock screen
- How to silence Google Assistant responses on your Android phone
- How to monitor and limit your data usage on an Android phone