On this week’s show, Nilay Patel, Dieter Bohn, and Paul Miller go deep into Apple’s updated operating systems: macOS Catalina, iPadOS, iOS 13, and a little bit of tvOS. Catalina seems pretty buggy, and some apps are broken. Is upgrading worth it? Listen to our experts who have used it extensively.
Of course, there’s a lot more to discuss, like Sony confirming the PlayStation 5 name and release date, the Chinese government exerting pressure on tech companies, Paul’s segment “You know what? Maybe radio was a mistake,” and an iPad review.
Stories discussed on the show this week:
- Apple’s macOS Catalina update is coming today
- Apple’s macOS Catalina update is a big problem for DJs who relied on iTunes
- Catalina Review
- Photoshop and Lightroom users should wait before updating to macOS Catalina
- Netflix confirms it won’t port its iPad app to macOS
- You need a MacBook with a butterfly keyboard or a modern Mac desktop to use macOS Catalina’s Sidecar
- Why I’m turning off auto-updates
- Apple starts selling Microsoft’s Xbox controller after adding support in iOS, macOS, and tvOS
- iPadOS review: it’s complicated, finally
- Linksys’ mesh routers can now detect motion using Wi-Fi
- Apple’s Siri can now play music through Spotify
- iOS 13 has gotten better, but there’s still a long way to go
- Apple iPad (2019) review: no competition
- Sony confirms next console is called PlayStation 5 and coming holiday 2020
- The next console war is going to be way more fun than the last one
- Samsung made the smartwatch Google couldn’t
The Vergecast /
Weekly tech roundup and interviews with major figures from the tech world.