It’s our third Vergecast of the week, and it’s time to recap what happened in the tech world. First up, Silicon Valley editor Casey Newton starts the show by explaining what we heard candidly from Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg in leaked audio of an internal Facebook Q&A. The Vergecast explains what Zuckerberg’s comments say about Facebook’s unique place in the antitrust debate.
Next, Nilay Patel, Dieter Bohn, and Paul Miller run through everything that was announced at Microsoft’s Surface event this week, including some new foldable devices and Microsoft’s partnership with Android. Will the folding form factor stand the test of time?
We’ve also got updates on the fight for net neutrality. An appeals court this week upheld the Federal Communications Commission’s repeal of net neutrality laws, but it vacated a rule that would prevent states from passing their own versions of the laws. You can hear Nilay colorfully explain this court ruling on this episode.
There’s a whole lot in between all of that — including Paul Miller’s weekly segment “I’ve seen The Matrix. I’m not an idiot.” — so listen through to get it all.
Stories discussed on the show:
- Mark Zuckerberg leaked audio
- Read the full transcript of Mark Zuckerberg’s leaked internal Facebook meetings
- Elizabeth Warren: companies like Facebook ‘repeatedly fumble their responsibility to protect our democracy’
- Microsoft is building a phone again, it’s called the Surface Duo
- Windows 10X is Microsoft’s latest stab at a ‘Lite’ operating system, exclusively for dual-screens
- Microsoft announces dual-screen Surface Neo, coming next holiday
- Microsoft’s future is built on Google’s code
- Microsoft doesn’t think Windows is important anymore
- A first look at Surface Duo, Microsoft’s foldable Android phone
- Microsoft Surface Neo first look: the future of Windows 10X is dual-screen
- Inside Microsoft’s new custom Surface processors with AMD and Qualcomm
- Microsoft announces Surface Pro 7 with long-awaited USB-C port
- The Surface Pro X and Surface Laptop 3 are upgradable, but only a little
- Microsoft’s Surface Laptop 3 comes in two sizes and with two different processors
- Microsoft Surface Pro X and Surface Pro 7 hands-on: It’s ARM vs. Intel
- Microsoft Surface Earbuds first listen: live transcribe your life
- Political Operatives Are Faking Voter Outrage With Millions Of Made-Up Comments To Benefit The Rich and Powerful
- The FCC can repeal net neutrality, but it can’t block state laws, says court
- iOS 13.1.1 now available with fixes for battery drain, third-party keyboard bug, and more
- Apple is fixing iOS 13’s bugs at a breakneck pace with another new update today
The Vergecast /
Weekly tech roundup and interviews with major figures from the tech world.