This week on The Vergecast, Nilay Patel and Dieter Bohn get into their Apple reviews for the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, and the Apple Watch Series 5. It’s a review redux, and there’s plenty more to say about the new iPhones, their cameras, and whether the nickname “sweater mode” is going to stick for what Apple calls “Deep Fusion.”
We hope it does; “sweater mode” sounds much cozier.
Today’s the day when preorders for the new iPhones should start arriving on people’s doorsteps, and the lines at Apple Stores are very long. Maybe you’re in one of those lines right now, maybe you’re holding off for the Pixel 4, or maybe you fundamentally believe you shouldn’t buy a new phone until your old phone is so battered and broken that it literally wheezes when you turn it on. All are valid choices, and we discuss them all on this week’s Vergecast episode.
Tech season is just getting started, which means we also look ahead at the upcoming tech events from Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and, heck, maybe Apple again.
Finally: we have a podcast audience survey out and we obsessively look at the results of these things and take that feedback into our show. It’s not a problem but it’s a problem: we really want and need your feedback in order to feel anything. Please take a few minutes and go fill out the survey, jokes aside it’s super valuable and we genuinely will appreciate it. Thanks!
Verge stories we discussed this week include:
- Apple iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max review: the battery life is real
- Apple iPhone 11 review: the phone most people should buy
- iOS 13 is now available to download
- Apple pushes up iOS 13.1 and iPadOS to September 24th
- iOS 13 review: join the dark side
- Apple Watch Series 5 review: the best smartwatch
- What can Google do to compete with the Apple Watch? Not much
- Amazon Music rolls out a lossless streaming tier
- Everything we know about the Pixel 4, the most-leaked phone ever
- Google announces October 15th hardware event for Pixel 4
- Microsoft is working on foldable Surface devices
- Microsoft’s Surface Laptop 3 may include a new 15-inch version
- Microsoft’s next Surface Pen looks like it’ll have wireless charging
- Facebook’s new Portal devices are cheaper and smaller
- Facebook introduces Portal TV
- The 10 Apple Arcade launch games you have to play
- Apple Arcade could have huge consequences for the iOS app ecosystem
- Nintendo Switch Lite review: a triumphant return