Another week, another fall hardware event. On Wednesday, through a 30-minute infomercial, Google officially announced its new product lineup: the Pixel 5, the Pixel 4a 5G, Chromecast with Google TV, and Nest Audio.
On this week’s episode of The Vergecast, The Verge’s Nilay Patel, Dieter Bohn, Dan Seifert, and Chris Welch go into detail on these products (which were leaked pretty heavily this year) and discuss how they stand among the competitors in affordability and quality.
Also, in a not-so-coincidental state of events, Sonos has filed another patent lawsuit against Google, alleging the Nest and Chromecast line of products have infringed on five Sonos wireless audio patents. The Vergecast crew discusses the ongoing lawsuits and Sonos’ unique position to push back against Google.
You can listen to the entire conversation here or in the Vergecast feed on your preferred podcast player.
Stories from this episode:
- If you’re sick this fall, you’ll probably get two virus tests
- The coronavirus pandemic by the numbers
- Google announces the Pixel 5 for $699
- Google announces Pixel 4A 5G with larger 6.2-inch display for $499
- Verizon has an exclusive Pixel 4A 5G that’s $100 more expensive
- Google says the Pixel’s Soli radar and Motion Sense will return
- Can the Pixel 5 camera still compete using the same old aging sensor?
- The Pixel 5 and 4A 5G play it safe
- Google Chromecast (2020) review: reinvented — and now with a remote
- Google announces new Chromecast with the new Google TV interface
- The new Chromecast with Google TV won’t officially support Stadia at launch
- Google Play Movies & TV is now Google TV but it’s not the same Google TV that runs on Android TV on the new Chromecast, it’s an app
- New Chromecast works as a cheap but unsupported xCloud streamer
- The Home Depot is selling a new Google Chromecast that hasn’t been announced
- Sonos sues Google for infringing five more wireless audio patents
- The new Roku Ultra has Dolby Vision and improved Wi-Fi performance
- Roku is adding support for Apple’s AirPlay 2 and HomeKit later this year
- Roku’s Streambar is a compact soundbar with built-in streaming smarts
- Google’s new Nest Audio smart speaker is official, costs $99.99
- A week with the Xbox Series X: load times, game performance, and more
- Microsoft’s new $549 Surface Laptop Go aims to compete with Chromebooks
- Microsoft’s updated Surface Pro X has a faster processor and new platinum color option
- Apple Watch Series 6 review: minute improvements
- The Apple Watch heart monitor sends too many people to the doctor
The Vergecast /
The podcast you need to make sense of the week in tech news