This week on The Verge’s flagship podcast, The Vergecast: Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) yells at Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, gadget makers are going to QVC, and it is weird phone season once again.
Hosts Nilay Patel and Dieter Bohn talk to Verge senior reporter Adi Robertson about the latest congressional hearing with the big tech CEOs — this time about Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Google CEO Sundar Pichai, and Dorsey attended the hearing over video in front of the Senate Commerce Committee, and Adi explains what everyone had to say.
In the second half of the show, Ashley Carman stops by to talk about the newest episode of her video series In the Making, which is about how live shopping channels like QVC and HSN are now a new frontier for gadget companies marketing and selling their products.
And of course, The Vergecast had to fit in some smartphone talk. The wave of weird phone design has come back, and it does not disappoint. Reviews for the LG Wing and the new Motorola Razr are out, and for some reason, there is a Yahoo phone.
This whole week of news is captured on this episode of The Vergecast, so listen here or in your preferred podcast player to hear it all.
Stories from this week:
- San Francisco and Oakland phase out Verily COVID-19 testing sites
- White House officials considered Elon Musk for coronavirus ad campaign
- We need to rebuild America’s pandemic-fighting agencies
- Streaming was part of the future — now it’s the only future
- Lime’s CEO on the future of scooters: ‘COVID has turned from a headwind into a tailwind’
- Mark Zuckerberg just told Congress to upend the internet
- The latest Section 230 hearing showed that Republicans want to make the internet smaller
- The Right’s Regulator in Chief
- Gadget makers’ biggest risk could be a huge reward
- Influencers’ next frontier: their own live shopping channels
- Everyone on Instagram will soon be able to go live for four hours
- Facebook will test shopping from Reels later this year
- Motorola Razr 2020 review: 5G folding flip phone feels fine
- LG Wing review: learning to fly, failing to soar
- Verizon’s Yahoo zombie appears again as a purple phone
- First iPhone 12 mini hands-on video shows just how tiny it is
- Mophie’s new wirelessly charging battery pack clips onto the back of your phone
- T-Mobile expands its faster midband 5G network, nearly doubling its coverage
- Microsoft Surface Pro X (2020) review: ARM gets more muscle
- Amazon Echo Dot (2020) review: have a ball
- T-Mobile expands into live internet TV with new TVision streaming service
- PS5 in photos: our first look at Sony’s next-gen console
- PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: the next-gen consoles in photos
- Astro’s Playroom is the perfect showcase for the PS5’s wild DualSense controller
- Control is coming to the Nintendo Switch today, but you can only stream it from the cloud
- Vizio and LG’s next-gen-ready OLED TVs are up to $500 off at Best Buy
- Meet the 24-year-old who’s tracking every broken McDonald’s ice-cream machine in the US
The Vergecast /
The podcast you need to make sense of the week in tech news