This week on The Verge’s flagship podcast The Vergecast, co-hosts Nilay Patel and Dieter Bohn welcome back senior science reporter Loren Grush and Silicon Valley editor Casey Newton to discuss their recent reporting on SpaceX and Facebook, respectively.
Last Saturday, SpaceX successfully launched its first two people into orbit. Loren explains SpaceX’s mission, partnering with NASA, and what the future of spaceflight looks like going forward.
In the second half of the show, Casey explains why Facebook employees are walking out in protest over posts by Donald Trump and how Facebook is handling the controversy in contrast to other social media companies like Twitter and Snap.
Of course, our hosts are also able to fit in some gadget news at the end of the show. The Sonos Arc is now available to preorder, and The Verge was able to review it this week. How does the Atmos-enabled soundbar compare to a full surround sound system? Listen to the discussion here or in your preferred podcast player to find out.
Stories from this episode:
- Blaming protesters for COVID-19 spread ignores the bigger threats to health
- 5G coronavirus conspiracy theorists are endangering the workers who keep networks running
- Telehealth wasn’t designed for non-English speakers
- The pandemic has made it harder to buy a new laptop
- Byte flight
- The United States will cut ties with the World Health Organization, says President Trump
- FCC extends deadline for ISPs to quit charging customers who use their own equipment
- K-pop stans overwhelm app after Dallas police ask for videos of protesters
- SpaceX successfully launches first crew to orbit, ushering in new era of spaceflight
- A rocket launch can’t unite us until the space world acknowledges our divisions
- Watch NASA astronauts fly SpaceX’s Crew Dragon using touchscreens
- SpaceX’s Crew Dragon successfully docks with the space station
- What the future of the space station looks like after SpaceX’s historic launch
- Meet the cute stuffed dinosaur that hitched a ride on SpaceX’s historic launch
- SpaceX is launching its latest batch of internet satellites, including one with a visor
- Trump’s Twitter order violates the First Amendment, new lawsuit claims
- Facebook won’t take any action on Trump’s post about shootings in Minnesota
- Facebook employees walk out in protest of Donald Trump’s posts
- Twitter takes action against Rep. Matt Gaetz for glorifying violence
- In leaked audio, Mark Zuckerberg expressed ‘disgust’ with Trump’s posts
- Mark Zuckerberg defends hands-off Trump policy to employees after walkout
- Nine things we learned from leaked audio of Mark Zuckerberg facing his employees
- Ban them all
- What other social networks can learn from Snapchat’s rebuke of Trump
- Huawei P40 Pro review: there’s a catch
- HBO Max won’t hit AT&T data caps, but Netflix and Disney Plus will
- The Sonos Arc puts convincing surround sound in a single soundbar
- Here’s our best look yet at Google’s new Android TV streaming device
The Vergecast /
Weekly tech roundup and interviews with major figures from the tech world.