Every Friday, The Verge publishes our flagship podcast The Vergecast, where we discuss the week in tech news with the reporters and editors covering our biggest stories.
This week, co-hosts Nilay Patel and Dieter Bohn chat with Verge reporter Julia Alexander about the long-awaited release of the Zack Snyder version of Justice League on HBO Max. Why is the aspect ratio 4:3? Julia also explains what’s in store for the next phase for streaming services — like password sharing, advertisements, and competition for TikTok.
In the second half of the show, Verge senior reporter Andrew Hawkins joins in to represent the transportation section of The Verge. Andy discusses interviewing Sen. Chuck Schumer about a new bill in Congress focused on infrastructure and electric vehicles; the various EVs being announced by Kia, Canoo, and others; and the state of e-bikes in America.
And of course the show was able to fit in some gadget talk, too. The show dedicates some time to discuss Apple discontinuing the HomePod and what the future of Apple’s smart speaker business looks like with the HomePod mini.
Also, Samsung Unpacked 2021 was this week, with the announcement of new midrange Samsung phones with faster refresh rates, expandable storage, and stabilized cameras. Nilay and Dieter discuss what role “flagship” phones play when the midrange phones are getting more sophisticated.
You can listen to the full discussion here or in your preferred podcast player.
Stories discussed in this episode:
- People aren’t missing their second COVID-19 vaccine dose, CDC data says
- Some research has gotten a huge boost during the pandemic
- Biden promises May 1st vaccine eligibility for all adults and a federal vaccine website
- Disneyland will reopen on April 30th, for California residents only
- Tinder is giving away free mail-in COVID-19 tests
- Apple Maps now shows COVID-19 vaccination locations
- Biden’s COVID-19 vaccine website builds on a swine flu tool
- You will watch the Snyder Cut in 4:3 aspect ratio because HBO Max respects cinema
- Zack Snyder’s Justice League remains overshadowed by its social media campaign
- Netflix is trying to crack down on password sharing with new test
- HBO Max will debut its cheaper, ad-supported tier in June
- YouTube Shorts arrives in the US to take on TikTok, but the beta is still half-baked
- Chuck Schumer wants to replace every gas car in America with an electric vehicle
- E-bikes are expensive, but this congressman wants to make ...
- Canoo reveals a bubbly electric pickup truck
- Kia shows off first full images of new EV6 electric car
- Here are the biggest announcements from Volkswagen’s battery event
- Elon Musk crowns himself ‘Technoking’ of Tesla
- Foxconn says it might build EVs at empty Wisconsin site, or in Mexico
- Samsung’s midrange phones now feature fast refresh rate screens, stabilized cameras
- Samsung says it might skip the Galaxy Note this year
- Apple discontinues the HomePod, but the HomePod mini will live on
- New iPad Pros reportedly launching as soon as April, and the …
- Intel puts Apple’s ‘I’m a Mac’ guy into new ads praising PCs
- Biden to tap former Senator Bill Nelson as NASA chief