Every Friday, The Verge publishes our flagship podcast, The Vergecast, where co-hosts Nilay Patel and Dieter Bohn discuss the week in tech news with the reporters and editors covering the biggest stories.
This week, Nilay and Dieter talk with Verge deputy editor Dan Seifert about this week’s rumors about the next big Apple product announcements after invites were sent out for the company’s annual WWDC event, which will again be virtual-only. After more AR headset leaks, the crew also discusses whether Apple has the bandwidth to support all of its product categories, especially with the Apple TV left alone for some time.
Later in the show, senior reporter Ashley Carman joins to discuss her coverage of social audio platform Clubhouse. Recently, we’ve seen a rise in potential competition in the social audio space from already-established platforms like LinkedIn, Slack, and Spotify. Ashley analyzes whether there is a winner-takes-all scenario or a more segmented space dedicated to genres of content.
There’s a whole lot more in the show — like Dieter’s explanation of the “cookiepocalypse” brought by Google Chrome’s changes to ad tracking on the browser — so listen to the full discussion here or on your preferred podcast player to hear it all.
- Real-world evidence shows that the COVID-19 vaccines work
- Biden administration looks to organize ‘vaccine passport’ development
- Apple Maps will show COVID-19 travel guidances so you know what to expect at the airport
- Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine highly effective in adolescents
- Amazon gets FDA authorization for an at-home COVID-19 test kit
- Errors ruin 15 million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine
- Apple WWDC 2021 announced as online-only event
- Apple Aiming to Announce Mixed-Reality Headset With In-Person Event in ‘Next Several Months’
- Ming-Chi Kuo Says Apple’s AR/VR Headset Will Weigh Less Than 150 Grams
- Apple reportedly plans revamped AirPods for as early as next year
- New iPad Pros reportedly launching as soon as April, and the 12.9-inch model may have a Mini LED screen
- Apple reportedly mulls rugged smartwatch coming as soon as this year
- Casio announces first Wear OS smartwatch in iconic G-Shock lineup
- Google Chrome FLoC: how it replaces cookies and what it means for privacy
- T-Mobile is betting big on Google’s Android services: RCS, YouTube TV, Pixel, and more
- T-Mobile is already shutting down its live TV service, partners with YouTube TV and Philo
- Google Nest Hub (2nd-Gen) review: sleep on it
- Huawei’s Mate X2 foldable adopts Samsung’s dual-screen ...
- Xiaomi announces the Mi Mix Fold, its first folding phone
- The Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra’s camera bump is no moon; it’s a space station
- Bose Frames Tempo review: the specs to beat
- Spotify is launching its own Clubhouse competitor
- Even LinkedIn is making a Clubhouse clone
- Discord’s new Clubhouse-like feature, Stage Channels, is available now
- Slack is getting Instagram-like stories and push-to-talk audio ...
- Instagram launches its own TikTok Duet feature called Reels Remix
- Facebook shorted video creators thousands of dollars in ad revenue
- Samsung created a whole Hulu series that’s sponcon for the Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G
- Biden plans to connect every American to broadband in new infrastructure package
- NBA on NFT
- We read your phone plan’s fine print so you don’t have to
- The unsettling surveillance of anti-Asian racism
The Vergecast /
The podcast you need to make sense of the week in tech news