The Criterion Collection has announced plans to release a six-film slate of classics on 4K Blu-rays for the first time, including a rerelease of Orson Welles’ American epic Citizen Kane.
Besides the perennial film buff favorite, Criterion is also releasing the following films as part of its initial collection of ultra high-definition Blu-rays:
- Menace II Society directed by Allen and Albert Hughes
- The Piano directed by Jane Campion
- Mulholland Dr. directed by David Lynch
- The Red Shoes directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger
- A Hard Day’s Night directed by Richard Lester
Criterion writes that each release will include the film in 4K UHD along with a traditional 1080p Blu-ray print. Special features, arguably one of the Criterion Collection’s greatest strengths, will also be included on the Blu-ray. Some select films will even support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.