Every Friday, The Verge publishes our flagship podcast, The Vergecast, where Verge editor-in-chief Nilay Patel discusses the week in tech news with the reporters and editors covering the biggest stories.
We’ve got some big news for The Vergecast today. David Pierce has returned to The Verge as editor-at-large and now rejoins The Vergecast to host the show with Nilay each week. We’ve got a lot of plans ahead for growing the show with David, so stay tuned for that.
On today’s episode, David, Nilay, and Verge managing editor Alex Cranz discuss some change-ups in the streaming world this week: Netflix has lost subscribers for the first time in over a decade after contending with more rival services than ever before, and streaming service CNN Plus has announced it’s shutting down only a month after launching. The crew discusses their picks for the streaming services that are top contenders right now and what other changes may shake out later this year (play along at gone90.biz).
The second half of the show, Verge editor Chris Welch joins in to discuss his scoop on Sonos’ new lower-cost soundbar that is set to release in June. The crew also discusses what else Sonos’ may be working on (let us know if you think it’s a TV or a streaming box).
There’s a whole lot more packed into the show — you can listen to the full discussion here or through your preferred podcast player.
Stories mentioned in this episode:
- Netflix just lost subscribers for the first time in over a decade
- The writing may be on the wall for sharing Netflix accounts
- CNN Plus is shutting down only a month after it launched
- The Obamas are leaving Spotify for a new multiplatform podcast deal
- Spotify opens up video podcasting to everyone in the US and select markets
- Exclusive: this is the new budget soundbar from Sonos
- A year after LG left the smartphone business, Samsung is the big winner
- The latest leak of Google’s upcoming Pixel Watch shows off a familiar design
- Playdate review: all it’s cranked up to be
- A camera battery with a USB-C port is a gadget whose time has come
- Elon Musk lays out funding for ambitious Twitter takeover
- Delta confirms ‘exploratory’ Starlink tests
- Tesla earned over $3 billion in profit in the first quarter
- California net neutrality law to remain intact after appeals court says it won’t reconsider earlier decision
- Instagram is begging you to stop reposting TikToks to Reels
- This firm made Republicans go viral — now it’s falling apart
- Booming warehouse growth clashes with rural life in California’s Inland Empire
- Inside the pandemic’s PPE supply chain nightmare
- A former Foxconn executive tries to explain what went wrong in Wisconsin
The Vergecast /
The podcast you need to make sense of the week in tech news